Virtually any animal species can be used in the conduct of antigen arthritis studies. The animal of choice is immunized (subcutaneous or intradermal injections) with the antigen (usually a cationic substance such as methylated bovine serum albumin (m-BSA) which will bind to negatively charged cartilage and be retained in the joint). The antigen is then injected into one or both joints and acute inflammation progressing fairly rapidly to joint destruction ensues. The pathogenesis involves an Arthus reaction on the articular cartilage as antibodies to the positively charged antigen that is injected form complexes that activate complement locally and result in cartilage destruction.
- Bendele AM. Animal Models of Rheumatoid Arthritis. J Musculoskel Interact 2001; 4: 377– 385.
- Brackertz D, Mitchell GF and Mackay IR. Antigen- induced arthritis in mice I. Induction of arthritis in various strains of mice. Arthritis Rheum 1977; 20:841-850.
- Hunneyball IM, Crossley MJ, Spowage M. Pharmacological studies of antigen-induced arthritis in BALB/c mice I. Characterization of the arthritis and the effects of steroidal and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Agents Actions 1986; 18:384-393.
- Van de Loo, AAJ, Arntz OJ, Otterness IG, van den Berg WB. Protection against cartilage proteoglycan synthesis inhibition by anti-interleukin-1 antibodies in experimental arthritis. J Rheumatol 1992; 19:348-356.
- Van de Loo AAJ, Arntz OJ, Bakker AC, van Lent PLEM, Jacobs MJM, van den Berg WB. Role of interleukin-1 in antigen-induced exacerbations of murine arthritis. Amer J Pathol 1995; 146:239-249.
- Van de Loo FAJ, Joosten LAB, van Lent PLEM. Role of interleukin-1, tumor necrosis factor · and interleukin-6 in cartilage proteoglycan metabolism and destruction. Effect of in situ blocking in murine antigen and zymosan induced arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1995; 38:164-172.
- Van Meurs JBJ, van Lent PLEM, Singer II, Bayne EK, van de Loo FAJ, van den Berg WB. lnterleukin-1 receptor antagonist prevents expression of the metallo- proteinase-generated neoepitope VDIPEN in antigen- induced arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1998; 41:647-656.
For more information about Antigen Induced Knee Arthritis contact us here.
- Collagen Induced Arthritis (CIA) in Rat
- Collagen Induced Arthritis in Mice (Mouse CIA)
- Antibody Induced Arthritis in Mouse (ManIA)
- Strep Cell Wall (SCW) Reactivation Arthritis (PGPS)
- Adjuvant Arthritis (AIA) in Rat
- Antigen Induced Knee Arthritis (Mouse)